This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission. This is no extra cost to you, but it does enable my addiction to Target. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
The words you use have great power and can build up your husband or tear him down. It isn’t always easy to know the best thing to say to encourage your husband, but this list of phrases to use will be great to speak as words of affirmation for him!
Like most people, your husband probably wants to be told how much you appreciate him way more than he would ever admit. My husband is never one to complain that he isn’t being acknowledged enough, but I know that he wouldn’t hate it if I gave him more kudos and let him know how awesome I think he is.
And that is one of the great things that we get to do for our spouses, and the people we love – build them up and encourage them.
Do you notice that when people feel supported and championed, they tend to be more positive and productive people? We usually feel much more confident in our selves if we know that there are other people who believe in and are confident in us. Confidence is a great gift and we can be a part of giving that to someone!
I am sure you have heard of the 5 Love Languages, and one of those main love languages is ‘words of affirmation’ (which is actually my primary love language, although my husband likes to say that it is actually Gifts). Even if your husband’s main love language isn’t tied to affirmation, this is still a super important part of a relationship.
My husband’s main love language is physical touch (a.k.a – backscratches), but every time I write him a nice note or tell him that I think he is an amazing dad, I can tell how much he appreciates it.
Below are several phrases that you can use to help encourage your husband. You can send him a text, write him a note or just say it to his face! I like to keep a few pads of post-it notes around the house and leave them for him to find. They seem to be a day maker for him when he finds one after he gets home from work or before I leave on a trip.
WORDS OF AFFIRMATION FOR YOUR HUSBAND
- I appreciate when you…
- You do ….. really well.
- I love it when you….
- Thank you for…..
- I love you because…..
- Thank you for supporting our family.
- You are a great dad to our kids.
- I am proud of you because….
- You look really handsome/sexy/smokin today.
- Thank you for taking out the trash, even if it is just so I don’t have to.
- I am glad you are my husband!
- You make me smile when you….
- Thanks for making me laugh!
- I appreciate you letting me vent.
- I value your input. Do you have any advice on this situation?
- Thank you for being the leader for our family.
- You are such a big help with the kids!
- I can’t tell you how much it means to me that you support my dreams.
- How can I best love you today?
- Is there anything I can be praying about for you?
- I bet you did awesome on that presentation at work. I know how hard you worked to prepare for it.
- I respect you.
- I hope our kids will someday do ….. like you.
- You handled that situation really well!
- I learn a lot from you.
- Thank you for fixing that/changing those lightbulbs/cleaning that.
- I trust you.
- You are my best friend.
- Thank you for making me feel beautiful and loved.
- I really appreciate you going out of your way to do …. for me.
- Hello Good Lookin’
- You have a great sense of humor.
- Thank you for helping me even when you didn’t want to.
- I love the life we are building together.
- I adore you.
- It is awesome how kind you are to others.
- You have my support.
- You are a Godly man.
- Being your wife is a real treat.
- Thank you for helping me calm down/Thank you for not getting worked up.
- You have made me a better woman by being my husband.
- I appreciate when you put our family first.
- You are a gentleman.
- I am glad I get to do life by your side.
- You’ve got a lot to offer sir!
- I’m in your corner.
- I am a lucky woman!
- You have my heart.
- How can I serve you better?
- I love you.
With words of affirmation for your husband, a little goes a long way! These are great phrases to use even if your husband doesn’t do them well all the time (who does?). The important part is that you are acknowledging him when he does things well. Both of you will feel better knowing that there is shared gratitude in your marriage.
Save to Pinterest!